I watched this on Neon. One season, 10 episodes.

Rating: 3/5

The series starts amid a flu pandemic that wipes out 99.99 per cent of the world's population.

Episode one, set over one night, sees abandoned eight-year-old Kirsten taken into care by Jeevan (Himesh Patel), whose sister, a doctor, tips him off that civilisation as they know it is about to end. "It's too late to run," she tells him. "Lock yourselves in, build a barricade – it's your best chance of surviving."

By episode two, 20 years have passed, Jeevan is AWOL and Kirsten is part of a now-renowned troupe of actors that moves from town to town, performing Shakespeare and other plays.

It was about this episode where I abandoned it. The first episode had been enticing. The second episode seemed to bear no relation to the first. So I went on to other more enticing viewing (which is debatable in this world full of streaming services). So, many weeks passed before I decided to give it another go. Station Eleven had its own siren call - that and a review I read that said it was one of the best programs of the 21st.

Did it get any better? Well, not really. It did tie up a few loose ends that I hadn't even thought about, but overall, I still don't see the point it was trying to make. I KNOW. It's for entertainment, and it doesn't have to make a point. But surely if I'm investing 10 hours watching a series, then there should actually be something in it that I walk away from being the better for knowing that point.

Or am I just dreaming?

Or maybe I missed the point totally.