I was asked by an old high school chum if I had a lobster bisque recipe, and I realized that I was in a crab rut. Living near the Chesapeake, crab is everywhere and the main shell fish. So I've been ignoring the Maine shellfish. Here is my take on the classic dish. Now, this is where having a quality seafood provider like Crosby's Crabs comes in handy. Fresh lobsters and shells make this dish rock. Now, some use brandy and wine, but I think sherry is a better match for lobster. I also added bacon which is not a traditional ingredient but is alway a welcome guest at my parties. It's not a heavy as some because it's for summer hope you like it.

3/4 pound lobster meat - about 2 (1 1/4 pound) lobsters
3 lobster shells
2 strips bacon cut in small pieces
2 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons flour
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup chopped fine onions
1/4 cup chopped fine celery
1/4 cup chopped fine carrot
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon creole seasoning
1 sprig thyme or one teaspoon
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup cream
3 cups lobster juice
1/2 cup sherry plus more for serving
8 anchovy fillets (optional)

In a soup kettle, fry bacon and remove bacon pieces and set aside.

Add oil and vegetables and cook until soft.

Add flour and cook until a blonde color; in the roux, add thyme and bay leaf. Stir every couple of minutes set a side

Dispatch the lobsters and cook in 4 quarts boiling water for 10 minutes in a separate pan and let cool.

Remove meat from shellfish and chop into bite size pieces.

Save water and add shells and reduce liquid by 1/2 (about 20 minutes.) (I was having Crosby's saved me some lobster shells, and I combined that with the lobster juice so the broth is full of lobster taste.)

Remove the shells using a strainer saving lobster stock.Add add tomato paste, lobster stock stock, sherry, cream, and juice to roux and cook for 15 minutes.
Add roux and stir

Remove thyme and bay leaf.

I use an immersion blender and make the vegetables smooth. You can use a regular blender or just leave them in for texture.

Add salt , pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.

Top with lobster meat (a claw would look really cool), a little of the bacon, and if you want a drizzle of sherry and some chives or parsley for color.

Serve with some French bread.

Check out "My Daughter's First Kitchen" available on Amazon

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at `https://www.westbowpress.com/en/bookstore/bookdetails/825837-my-daughters-first-kitchen`; the status code is `200` and content-type is `text/html; charset=utf-8`